When you join us you are…
Building a strong and independent Canadian music industry.
Over the last 36 years, CIMA (formerly CIRPA) has spearheaded the creation of government programs, policies and copyright reforms that have a direct financial benefit for Canadian record companies.
CIMA was instrumental in the creation of:
- FACTOR, VideoFACT
- Federal Sound Recording Development Program
- Radio Marketing Fund at FACTOR
- Radio Starmaker Fund
- Neighbouring Rights
- Private Copying Rights
- Canada Music Fund – including the Music Entrepreneur Program and the Music Entrepreneur Component
- Ontario Sound Recording Tax Credit
Joining forces with our music industry partners.
CIMA is the industry watchdog for Canadian Content regulations.
CIMA was instrumental in helping to raise Cancon levels from
20% to 30%in 1990; and again in 1998 from 30% to 35%.
CIMA members maintain seats on various boards to help set policy
and direction for these organizations: FACTOR, Starmaker, AVLA,
FACTOR National Advisory Board, Trade Team Canada Cultural Goods
and Services, WIN, Merlin.
Exploring national and international marketing opportunities.
- Participation in Special Marketing Campaigns via the
Ontario Media Development Corporation.
- Participation in Trade Missions and Symposiums – Los Angeles (USA), London (UK), Berlin (Germany), Tokyo (Japan).
- Participation at all Canada Stands at the most important international music business events – MIDEM, France; POPKOMM, Germany; and SXSW, USA.
- Participation at the International Marketplace at Canadian Music Week.
- Participation in promotional initiatives (Applaud!, Canadian Blast).
Taking advantage of member discounts.
- Discounts, travel packages and networking events at the Canada Stand registration at MIDEM.
- Discounts at Canadian Music Week (CMW) and North by Northeast (NXNE), the Great Escape (UK), and London Calling (UK).
- Discount on CIMA/DMDS digital distribution to radio.
- Discounts through Stage and Screen Travel.
- Discounts with Delta Hotels.
Networking with your peers.
- CIMA Members Extranet Website.
- Weekly e-Digest Communiqué featuring timely updates on vital issues affecting the Canadian recording industry.
- Participation in various professional development seminars/workshops, including the “Tools of the Trade” series.
- Access to specialized research at special discounted member rates.
- Summer networking BBQ’s.